It is All Good

It Is All Good

In my life, I have gone through struggle.

I had the fortune of being my mother's second child and my father's first born son....and also being the middle child.  I remember the fight to try and stay relevant..all while being held to a higher standard than my older brother.  There was always something a little different about me, I always kind of tried to make things better and I always spent a lot of time by myself...figuring things out.  I remember, I could not have been more that 6 or 7 years old.  It was Halloween and we lived outside of a bad neighborhood that my parent's warned us to never go near, no matter what.  My older brother did not heed their advice and wound up getting "jumped"...losing his Halloween candy.  In my innocence, I offered up all of my candy to him...and in his true nature, instead of being thankful for the gesture alone...he took it all....lol

In my effort to stay relevant, I tried to succeed where my older brother failed.  He went out for band and I remember my mother wanting him to play drums...so sure enough when it was my turn, that was my instrument of choice.  It served me well.  My grandparents also encouraged my musical talents by purchasing me my first Casio keyboard.  I played by ear...and this is something I would like to pick up again soon.  But, in the roots of my musical talent is rhythm, which served to be so very important.  These days you will find me strumming a 6 string...with the ability to pick up complex strumming patterns...sing, tap my feet, dance, and keep relatively good timing.

Later on in life I have struggled with heartache...and disappointment.  As a teenager I took a girl to prom...the following school year she died in an automobile accident.  I struggled with knowing things about her lifestyle and her home life...that if things were different, perhaps she would still be here.  I struggled with my parents divorcing and having to step up in an early age to help my father where he was faltering.  Buying food for the house, giving him thousands of dollars over time.  But hey, it's what we do...we help those that need it.  I struggled with the loss of a brother-in-law due to an overdose...the loss of my own brother in a car accident, the loss of my father due to a stroke...I struggled with addiction...alcohol abuse, cigarette addiction, and other addictions...obesity...my own divorce.

I think the bottom line here is...life is full of pain and loss.  There are lessons in it all.  To learn the ability to love, knowing they can go away in an instant.  To help those in need, even if it means putting  yourself out.  To be there for people when they are at their lowest.  That things happen and even when they don't seem right...that is not for us to decide.  That if we don't fill ourselves with love, that we will fill ourselves with bad things.  That we can offer up our gifts to someone and be refused...and that is not on us.

The good news is...it gets better...and on the other side of all of that pain is a love...that is so pure and full.  Indeed...It is all good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making It Now: 4 Steps to Success

Find Someone Who Loves You For Who You Are

Being True to Yourself Means Being Fearless