Raise Your Standards

Raise Your Standards

Oh boy.  This is a good one.

Let us get one thing straight.  Your life is not one big decision.  It is not one big decision that go you to exactly where you are right now.  It was thousands of tiny little decisions and a few big ones.

Now, I am trying to think back on where my life got off track.  I moved to this small town in 2002.  Prior, I was in college and working at a club as a bartender.  Not the type of club  you would think of.  Not attractive women partying it up on the dance floor to loud techno music.  It was a Fireman's club.  Mostly middle aged dudes sitting around watching Walker Texas Ranger.  This was not a bad job, I made a lot of friends, got to hear a lot of stories.  I did not take it very seriously and my effort showed.  My father got me the job and I did enjoy my time there slinging swill to the masses.

August of 2002 I got the phone call that I would be moving to Coudersport to work for Adelphia Communications for $11.10 an hour with the possibility of a monthly bonus.  I thought I had hit the jackpot!  I found myself an apartment for $400 a month all utilities included...it was $50 less than the other apartment because it had no windows!  My friends gathered up my stuff into a car and a pickup truck.  I moved into my new place, kissed my girlfriend goodbye, waved goodbye to my friends...went directly back up into my apartment and cried my eyes out.  It was the first time in my life that I was alone.  I was going to have to fend for myself.

It was then that it occurred to me that I had no idea what I was doing.  I went grocery shopping...purchased some food.  I remember buying Fruit Loops.  I set my coffee maker alarm clock for 6 a.m...I didn't drink coffee, but my dad did...and the smell would wake me and remind me of home.  I wake up the next day to realize I have no bowls and no spoons.  I did have a coffee cup...and I remembered rooting through the next apartment over previously...there was a spoon over there.  I retrieved it and ate my Fruit Loops out of a coffee cup with a stolen spoon.   My first day in the real world was off to a great start!

I don't recall a lot about my first day at work.  I do remember I had a giant notch taken out of my head from being hit with a Smirnoff bottle at last party we threw before I moved.  Decisions....make better ones.

I recall keeping my apartment clean.  I used to clean it before going home to see my girlfriend on the weekends.  I know this because I enjoyed coming home to a nice clean place of my own...with my own stuff.

Somewhere..somehow I started going off track.

As always, my name is Rich Hadfield, thank you for your time and attention.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making It Now: 4 Steps to Success

Find Someone Who Loves You For Who You Are

Being True to Yourself Means Being Fearless