Death of Your Ego

Death Of Your Ego

Elliott Hulse - Die Before You Die

The Way of the Samurai

So this is all very interesting...and I would like to just sometimes...go back and clobber myself because what I know now has been taught a million times over...BUT...alas...it has still brought me here and not a lot of people get here...so...Great.

The death of my ego.  Dropping everything that I held in value in order to become who I am today.  Previous to this I drank to get drunk everyday of my life.  Everyday...now what this does is it calms the voice, it subdues the passions...it makes you "okay" with things that are not okay.  You can ignore the tapping, so to speak.

2 or so years prior to the complete breakdown of myself, I was going on a journey to better my body.  I focused on it heavily, it brought me great joy.  I was also working 2 jobs, keeping up on and improving my guitar/singing skills.  Slightly prior to the better body journey, I was still drinking heavily...I would wake up around 8, be late to work, leave around 4:30 to go work the other job trying to get the restaurant going.  My manager Chris informed me we would need to take the "mandatory lunch hour".  So, I moaned about it...but accepted it.  I turned that into a time where I would workout, make myself lunch, play guitar.

This goes on, I start losing weight, gaining confidence...making mistakes, trying again, so on...and so forth.  This was also the start of my Instagram page.  Rich Refocused  At first it was just my name rhadfieldii, then HadfieldGetsFit then Hadfield Refocused, and now Rich Refocused.  I got to hook up with some cool people and got to be in this video. Obese to Beast Army   Just all around good times.

There started to be a battle in my head.  At this point I had learned to start watching what people do instead of listening to what they say.  A lot of truths started to hit home...about the people I was with and about myself.  It all seemed like one giant lie.

Insert, the death of my brother John.  The story is in an earlier post.  It shook my belief system to its core.  A lot of other things happened too and I started questioning everything....there was this constant nagging of "There's got to be more than this...there has to be more than this...there is more to life than this."  Mind you, at this point I had made the most money I had ever made.  I had 5 grand in the bank, a growing 401k, a marriage, a good job, and not a whole lot to worry about.  But it still wasn't right.

Something in my mind told me to run.  Get out of here now.  The total death of my ego was coming.  I purchased an overnight bag and some things for a vacation...the lady at the register said "Have fun on your trip."  I smiled....little did I know what I was about to go through.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making It Now: 4 Steps to Success

Find Someone Who Loves You For Who You Are

Being True to Yourself Means Being Fearless